Friday, March 25, 2016

Things Ron Norton gave me, and us...

Last December word filtered through the grapevine that our friend, Ron Norton, was Sick. The fact that the information came quietly, in that manner, justified the capitalization of the word. With uneasiness we waited for more information. We had a vague idea of it before Christmas, a clear understanding of its true, terminal nature by Groundhog's Day, and on Easter we are mourning him. F*ck Cancer.

The anecdotes and memories I will share here are mine, but they are common. Ron met, befriended and employed a lot of us over the years.

He was the owner of Vancouver's famous Comicshop on West 4th Avenue from the day he opened it in 1974 until he died this week. I had first met him when I was 13 years old. My Dad had taken me to the 'shop in 1979 as a birthday present. I still have the cool old Comics I bought that day. Roughly 10 years later, when I was fresh out of music school and starving, he gave me a job. More recently (15 years ago) he had moved back to Michigan to be with family, but he remained the faraway owner, mentor and friend to us that he had always been.

Ron was a nice man and an enthusiastic fan. He loved his family (Angie and Ryan, wife and son...) and he also enjoyed his work family. He employed many a fresh-faced fan over the decades. Those who loved comics or sci-fi or fantasy or gaming or toys (or general nerditude) found a place at the Comicshop. The staff meetings included a big feed. The Christmas bonuses were generous.

Over the more than 25 years I worked for him, part time, off and on, he did the typically nice Ron stuff. He send me a care package in the hospital after I had a nasty car accident. He connected me with comic professionals when I was dabbling in self-publishing. He refrained from firing my ass on occasions when I probably deserved it.

He gave me a few things over the years that I display in my home. He was generous that way. I would say, "Gee... I used to have one of those old corgi Batmobile toys when I was a kid." He would self-consciously hand me one a few days later for no reason other than he knew that I liked it. I remarked that I thought his old pinball machine backplate was really cool. It is now framed in my kitchen nook. Generous. Nice...

Ron had left us to live in Michigan over 15 years ago when my son was a toddler. I remember him freaking my son out by using his infamous "duck voice" when he spoke to him. Oh... Ron loved his ducks. Over more recent years I enjoyed seeing pictures of Ron's teenage son grow up, get married, and provide him with a grand-daughter. I know this made him really happy.

One of the nicest things about the Comicshop has been it's tenacity and longevity. We who have been there long enough have watched people who came in as babies come back with their own babies 25 years later. We who worked as young employees moved on to other things in life, usually different careers and new families. But there was always a firm tether back to the Comicshop (and Ron's generous former-employee discount.)That's serious comic mojo. He built a community for the city that remains intact over 40 years later.

I noticed today that the Georgia Straight (online) mentioned his death. It made me smile because I think he would have liked that. They know he was one of the people who created the "scene" in Vancouver. It automatically made me think of the Straight newspaper with the Zippy the Pinhead and Reid Fleming comics of the '80's, and that all felt a bit full circle to me.

I don't really know what more to say here except that I am immensely sad because he's gone. He deserved a longer life and further happiness, but didn't get it.  I am grateful for his friendly generosity and genuineness. I am grateful that he gave me an outlet for our shared fascinations. Those who knew him mourn him. Those who didn't, but are excited about the new Batman Vs Superman film that is out this weekend, have a kinship with the guy who helped build the comic fan scene in Vancouver, whether they know it or not.

Thanks, Ron.

Click here for a related post about the Comicshop...


No comments: