Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The modern version of a "mixed tape"...

Theoretically, by choice and vocation, I am a musician. I am also a bit nerdy and folky, as my choices below will bear out. I pretend to fight the man (hence my mostly indie choices). Here is some new(ish) music that some of you may not have encountered before (except for the Mumfords, who seem to be everywhere). I found most of it on emusic over the past couple of years, which I recommend for inexpensive indie downloads. It is cheaper than the apple conglomerate and has plenty of oddities.  I have had fun finding video examples of these groups, some live, some from the albums. I like to think of this as the 2011 equivalent of a mixed tape I might have made back in middle school for my friends... only on the computer, with info links and videos.

Stornoway are a few annoyingly talented young men from the UK. I resent the songwriting ability and clear tenor voice of the lead lad. I also regret missing them when they played the Biltmore here last year. I think Fuel Up is a very true song.

Fuel Up




I'm in love with  Little Miss Higgins, but she likely doesn't know I am alive. I wonder if she needs a harmonica player.... A wonderful bluesy Canadian woman who writes songs about the Metis? Too late... I'm already married.





Pearl and the Beard are a trio from Brooklyn. I first discovered them because of their Will Smith Medley on youtube... but they are so much more than that. The shape of their sound; the sparse depth of their arrangements, their diverse writing, (not to mention the deliciousness of Jocelyn and Emily)... Well, I just love Pearl and the Beard.







I know almost nothing about  Beast except that they thump and rock in an old and new way. I think they're from Quebec. There is nothing about the Mr Hurricane video that I don't love.





Okay... Dan Mangan is a local boy who is now pretty famous. He just sold out the Orpheum. He's so local that the video for Sold was shot in my grocery store down Kingsway.  If you have ever tried to write a song, listen to his stuff and feel humbled.







I first heard Timbre Timbre on Rue Morgue Radio (wonderful horror culture, for those who love such things).  The eerie minimalism is delightful. Try listening to Demon Host while driving at night on a lonely country road... I dares ya.





I know nothing about Karine Polwart. I stumbled across her on emusic. She is so Scottish, so lilting, so accomplished. Wow. Time to find a family tartan. Is there such a thing as "MacEverett"? I couldn't find any great videos online, so just launch the link below and listen, and close your eyes, and smell the heather.




Blossom Dearie was a magnificent jazz vocalist and pianist. Those my age might remember her singing some of the Schoolhouse Rock songs. She died a couple of years ago and I finally got a few of her tracks. I love this one because it uses words like "bummier" in the lyrics.



I thought I was edgy when I downloaded Mumford & Sons... then I realized that these guys are everywhere. Even mainstream radio (eek!). They are getting a ton of play chez Everett this winter as well.






Bellowhead brings a cast of thousands to it's historically- tinged, folk - jazz assault. I prefer to turn it up and let the prickly, loud, British madness wash over me.






Laura Marling probably wins the prize for most annoyingly talented ridiculously young musician on this list. I think she's 20, or something similarly zygotic. I've been told she sounds like Joni Mitchell, which is fine, but I mostly just hear Laura Marling, and suspect that I'll hear a lot more in the future.






Oh... and don't forget... these guys have made more money this year that all of the above artists on this list will make, combined, in their entire careers. Sorry for the downer.

No comments: